I have to thank J for introducing me to smoothies many years ago. He made one every morning and I caught on and now most mornings either start with a protein smoothie or oatmeal. Today it was a smoothie day. I don’t use recipes normally but I want to share what I made today because it is good good good. Also remember, take all recipes on here with however many grains of salt you want (literally or figuratively) – they’re just outlines and I hope you’ll run with them and do whatever feels best for you!
Mixed Berry Green Protein Smoothie
- 8-12 oz non-dairy milk (I use almond milk)
- Handful of frozen berries (I used about 6 strawberries and a large handful of blueberries)
- Kale powder (or just use fresh kale if you have it – I didn’t today)
- Chia seeds
- Flax seeds
- Maca Powder
- Protein Powder (I use Garden Of Life)
- Pour all ingredients into blender.
OK literally thats it. Its a smoothie, you guys. Like, my dad could make this if he wanted to. So go wild, add whatever you want to it. Here are a couple tips and things to keep in mind:
- Additions: half a banana, nut butters, hemp seeds, oats, kale, spinach, swiss chard (or any other greens), avocado, flax oil, other fruits (like peaches, mango, pineapple).
- Tips: Go easy on the fruit. Of course its healthy it but still has a lot of sugar. Just add barely enough fruit to make it taste slightly sweet (if you need that), otherwise focus on piling in a shit-ton of greens, seeds, and healthful powders like maca, spirulina, and protein powder. Also go easy on the nut butters – very high in calories and fat, which is okay in small doses but its easy to get carried away. Last tip: turn this into a smoothie bowl! I always saw the elusive smoothie bowl elegantly decorated all over Instagram, and I realized all it actually is is a smoothie… in a bowl. So fuck it. Pour it into a bowl, slice some bananas or fruit into it, add some granola or whatever, and bam. Smoothie bowl.